I started this post back in August. That was a long time ago. This post probably would’ve lingered in the drafts folder like so many posts before and after it. However, at the gentle nudging of a friend, I’m going to get a post in.
It’s good to be held accountable.
Summer came. Summer went. The 2014-15 school year reared its chaotic, energized, and lovely head on the 26th of August. I was greeted at the doors of the Academic Commons by exuberant student council members and given this swag (as the kids say).
I didn’t do a lot of open, digital reflecting over the summer, because life. But there was some pretty cool and important things going on. I’ll recap them here.
I had goals for the summer. Some were met. Some were derailed by other happenings. Time was spent with e-textiles. I enjoyed mashing up the circuits with things like embroidery and cross stitch.
The above project was going to be a space scene. Planets. Stars. A rabbit in a rocket ship. I dismantled it though, because the rabbit looks distressed. I’ll give it another go eventually. The cross stitch project is also unfinished, like many other projects around my house. I’m discovering that I really enjoy the planning of the project and the more challenging aspects (like planning a circuit for the conductive thread and LEDs). Sticking with the actual embroidery (or knitting of tentacles for a knitted nautiloid) is more difficult. It’s not that the work is tedious. It’s just a slower burn, I think.
I finally got around to using the EL wire that I’ve had for about a year now. It’s definitely inspired by the TRON bag project over at Adafruit. I’d like to do another EL wire project soon that requires soldering. I think that would make for a nice challenge.
When my son was in diapers, we used one of my messenger bags for diapers and such. My son is long out of diapers, so I reclaimed the bag, sewed some EL wire on the front with nylon thread and called it a day. The hardest part of the project was ripping open some seams in order to secure and EL inverter.
This project only took a couple of hours (if that). Immediate payoff! Like!
Project Update: The EL wire broke and my stitches are popping. My sewing does not hold up to brutal, daily wear. I’m pretty sure I can solder the EL wire back to the inverter. I’ll make some stronger stitches too when I get back to this.
One goal for my summer of making things was to get out of my house and make as many connections as possible. I worked with 7 other pretty amazing folks to organize the RVA MakerFest, which put me in touch with many makers and advocates of making in the community.
The most rewarding thing about the summer of making was spending more time at Hack.RVA. I worked there a few mornings when I didn’t want to deal with my cats jumping on projects. I went to a few Maker Camps organized by Catherine, Hack.RVA member and fearless leader of the RVA Maker Guild. I adored the DIY music camp. Some of us created music boxes out of Altoids tins and those awful, awful singing greeting cards. You can find a tutorial for the Musical Altoids Tin here.
Some other folks experimented with the Little Bits Synth Kit, which was pretty awesome. I need to get some of these for school.
Hack.RVA launched a crowdfunding campaign for a CNC router over the summer too. I backed that, got trained, and need to get trained again since training was an eternity ago. I really do need to make some house numbers.
It’s mid-October now. Going to Hack.RVA is second nature now and no longer induces the awkward social anxiety it once did. I attribute that to members’ willingness to include others. Or maybe I’ve just found my people. It’s nice to say something like, “I’m going to knit a Cthulhu mask for my uterus pillow.” and not have people look at you weird.
Don’t judge me.
So that’s it. My summer of making in a sweeping blog post. I’m into the fall of making now, and it involves band saws, scroll saws, and drill presses.
*&%# got real!