I got up early this morning to catch up on some DS106zone readings. Inspired by some great projects like Andy Forgrave’s DS106zone trading card, I decided that the laundry could wait. It’s time to attempt some art, dammit.
At 5:30 this morning, the project seemed very doable. Most of the tutorial made sense. It seemed easy. It didn’t go as well as I thought it would, but that’s ok. That’s how it goes sometimes.
Things that stumped me:
1. My image of Talky Tina was small, so I spent time trying to figure out how to make her fit in the hole in the trading card. I’m still not proficient in GIMP (or PhotoShop), so I’m still trying to wrap my head around the differences between layers and images and why things like ‘layer to image size,’ ‘layer to boundary size,’ ‘scale layer,’ etc. wouldn’t work for me. After much failed experimentation, I discovered that the scale tool (tools > transform tools > scale) was all I needed. Easy enough and intuitive once I knew it existed. I really need to sit down with a GIMP or PhotoShop manual. I think it would save me a lot of time in the end.
2. I also had trouble editing the text from Andy’s template. After some frustration and swearing, I discovered that I probably couldn’t edit the text, because it was a .psd file and I was in GIMP. I am an idiot. No matter. I opened the template in PhotoShop and edited the necessary text. I then saved the template, which was now a Talky Tina card and moved back into GIMP. After all, I had spent all of that time trying to figure out how to scale Tina to fit in the card. I didn’t want to grope my way around PhotoShop trying to solve the same problem.
3. Oh, and I wasn’t sure how to make Tina sit comfy and snug behind the DS106zone logo.
I ended up just erasing part of the Tina layer, which is why it looks a little rough. I feel like there’s a more professional way though.
Anyhoo…. Here’s my Talky Tina trading card.